Saturday, June 28, 2008

Welcome to my World!

Hello, everyone! My name is Harry Ames, Jr. You may remember me for playing Jerry Van Dyke's son's best friend, Dilly, in the 1967-68 sitcom Accidental Family. Although the show only ran for 9 episodes, it launched my career as an 11-year-old actor with a union card and big plans.

The role of Sandy Webster, Jerry Van Dyke's son on the show, (which I was originally up for) was played by a little prick named Teddy Quinn. I hated his guts, yet I played the role of his best friend with charm and grace to generally favorable reviews.

I moved to Redding in 1990, mostly to create some distance between myself and my alcoholic slut of an ex-wife who is still bleeding me dry, but also to enjoy the wonderful recreation here in the North State. I actually enjoy the heat in Redding. It reminds me of being under the klieg lights on the TV soundstage.

I have many passions I'll be sharing with you on this blog. I love raising my little Shitzus ("Twinkles" Best In Show, 1988!) and working in my garden. I still hold acting classes and an "Actor's Retreat" every year out in Whiskeytown (which I hope has survived these wildfires! Thank you Fire Guys!)

I also love to paint! Watercolors are my specialty and you may have seen some of my work around town. Several of my paintings were on the walls at my cardiologist's office, but those offices are gone now and I don't know what became of the paintings. Somebody told me they thought they ended up in the FBI's property room. They were so beautifully matted, too.

I hope you'll check my blog often. I'll be talking about my Hollywood career, the celeberties I know, Shitzus, watercolors and anything else you might want to get my take on. I think this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

See you soon!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, Mr. Ames! Looking forward to reading.

Uncle E said...

Hey, welcome to the RBN (Redding Bloggers Network)!
We are Legion, and we try to support each other, even though some of us (Philbert, mostly) don't deserve it. Plus, a good majority of us work at the local paper, or used to.
Welcome, Mr. Ames! I'll have to put a link on my little blog for ya, whatever that's worth...

Greg Pate said...

Wow! Yet another real-life celebrity in our little town. Welcome to the e-neighborhood, Mr. Ames. Looking forward to your blog entries and possibly some acting classes!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Ames, fancy that, I am a gardener, as well! We will have to share compost recipes sometime. Can't say I am terribly fond of Shitzus, my rottweilers tend to view them as tasty snacks, but if you tie them on a broomstick, they do make nice dust-mops, heck, they even do all the work.
Looking forward to reading more of your works. Welcome!

Anonymous said...

It's great to have you up here in the north state, Harry. I would be interested in attending one of your acting classes.
I think it's nice when actual celebrities like yourself are willing to be real people. Thank you for that.
I'm curious, did you ever guest star on "Nanny and the Professor" or "Love, American Style"? I seem to remember you from those shows. Oh, I could talk your ear off for hours, but I'm already a bit embarrassed. Just happy you're here.

Erin said...

Hey, there - glad to find you here.
I enjoy dabbling in watercolors, too - so fun to see how the paper and paint and water work together. Or conspire against you. An adventure - much like life -- to be sure.
Enjoy and welcome.

Thom Gabrukiewicz said...

Harry, it's good to hear your voice. Even though I've migrated east to the grassy plains, I look forward to your heartfelt stories.

Unknown said...

So happy to have another artist here in the Blogosphere! I'll shortcut your blog and see how your retreat faired the fires!
Lx5

Anonymous said...

Nice comment czygyny. Nothing says “Welcome to the Neighborhood” like my-dog-can-kill-your-dog. What IS it with owners of the big, dumb, aggressive breeds? I’m beyond sick of the tasty snack “joke.”

~ kjb said...

Anonymous, why so humorless? Lighten up a little. Here, have a shih-tzu-kebob.

Anonymous said...

kjb, I'm not entirely humorless...had a little coffee through the nose chortle at "shih-tzu-kebob."

Hal Johnson said...

Yeah, welcome to the RBN, Mr. Ames. Looking forward to your posts.

Anonymous said...

I apologize to Mr. Ames and to *anonymous*, I just don't know what comes over us owners of big, dumb, aggressive breeds, sometimes.

Perhaps it was the giddiness from the heavy haze of smoke in the valley, maybe someone's 'garden' up there burned up that day, I don't know.

Please forgive my old, worn out and tasteless jokes. I don't get out much.

For what it's worth, I would love to see some of those watercolors of Mr. Ames, I fancy myself an artist, as well.